Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Learning to love you more

Today, after a long walk across my neighborhood, I decided to visit my local bookstore, which usually contains the most amazing selection of what we could call "indie" books. As per usual, I spent hours looking at each cover and spotting the ones I would buy (if indeed, I had more than just 1.01 $ in my pocket), and I found this little treasure :



The book is has the post-secret concept, only not at all anonymous and with more directions. It consists of  a series of projects made by the general public, in response to directions given by two artists called Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher. I decided to post one of my favorites, #63, to help you understand better.

" Assignment #63
Make an encouraging banner.

Think of something encouraging you often tell yourself. For example: Everything will be ok. Or: Don't listen to them. Or: It'll blow over. Now make a banner, making sure to follow these instructions:

1. Draw each letter of the sentence on a large piece of colored construction paper or big squares of fabric. One letter per piece. Draw them blocky so you can cut them out.
2. Cut them out.
3. Glue each one onto a piece of construction paper or fabric that is a contrasting color.
4. Then glue the edges of all the pieces of paper or fabric together to make a banner.
5. Hang the banner in a place where you or someone else might need some encouragement, for example, across your bathroom. Or between two trees so that you and your neighbors can receive encouragement from it. Or in a gas station. "



Just a few of the results :



It is guaranteed that I will try and do all the assignments, trying to post them as I accomplish each one. In the meantime, you can check out The Oliver Family, a family who had quite an artistic mission on their hands... 

p.s. here is the incredible site where you can see other people's projects and get the directions to accomplish your own

4 comments:

Cate said...

what a great book! and it's full of assignments like this? i think i'm going to get it thru amazon! (if they have it)

Syed said...

Awww love it :)

Sydneydoll said...

that is really encouraging.
i would smile if i woke up to that everyday.
i would smile even more if my boyfriend was next to me to : )

..... said...

i agree with everyone !!! it's so cute